Return to STEINBRUECK PARK

After dropping a friend off at the Port of Seattle (she was taking an Alaskan cruise on the Diamond Princess) Rashell and I decided to spend a few hours in the city. I call Seattle "the city", which Rashell thinks is funny, because Federal Way is a city, and so is Tacoma... so maybe I should say "THE city" because that's my perception of Seattle, and because I don't venture into the heart of it very often, at least without good reason (e.g. jury duty) or to entertain visiting out-of-towners. Anyway, I still avoid most of downtown, but I do enjoy a stroll thru the Market (Pike Place Market is THE market) to people-watch, sample goodies (some free), to see what's new in the art scene, and of course, to listen to the musical street-talent perform. This is all a very round-about way of finally arriving at Victor Steinbrueck Park. The park itself is rather small, tho it does have a nice view of the waterfront and city-- but most significantly, this is where Rashell and I had our first picnic, many years ago ! We both have a good laugh about it now, because as we were sitting there on our blanket, minding our own business, we noticed someone in the upper floor of the building (behind us in the photo) had put a large sign in their window, on which was scribbled: "GET A ROOM !" Evidently, there had been more going on at the park than we were aware of...
Now for some HISTORY: (because I was curious) Just who is Victor Steinbrueck ? It turns out that the late Victor Steinbrueck, (1911-1985) was an accomplished architect, professor, and preservationist who spearheaded a citizens' initiative to save Seattle's beloved Pike Place Market (and Pioneer Square) from the wrecking ball of urban renewal in the late 1960's. He also contributed to the final design of the Space Needle. This park, one of several designed by him and Richard Haag, was originally called MARKET PARK.

<< Home